Is Content Marketing the Next Social Media for Millennials with a Message?
Content marketing is a strategy companies, organizations and influencers use to get a message out to their followers.
Content marketing is a strategy companies, organizations and influencers use to get a message out to their followers. My fellow millennials, if nothing else, have consistently proven that they are storytellers, something Neil Patel points out is a critical element of content marketing.
The next evolution in social media influence is a personal website, blog or podcast.
To a generation that has been mislabeled as “lazy and self-centered”, social media is just one example of how we are using technology to communicate more efficiently. And, if we are a bunch of lazy, self-centered social media addicts, should we find a way to monetize our passion?
I would argue that content marketing (which is a broad topic that covers many forms of communicating) is the natural evolution for tech-savvy, over-sharers with a following to get their message out even further. Just look at the media prowess that individuals like The Kardashians have managed to leverage into massive income streams.
The Tools of the Trade, Coming to a Laptop in a Starbucks Near You
Okay, I admit it, when I’m writing, there’s something about sitting in a Starbucks that just feels right. No, I don’t need to be seen composing my essays. But, I do enjoy the busy atmosphere. It somehow offsets the digital isolation that is modern blogging.
For the curious millennial that has thousands of followers, there are some tools of the trade that you will need to create a lucrative splash online:
- Outbrain is a service that propels content across the web at the speed of light. This can be an excellent tool for gaining instant visibility, boosted by the credibility of some of the web’s biggest names.
- ClearVoice is a platform that makes it easy to plan a content calendar, something that’s critical for honing a consistent message online. Then, in the off chance that you aren’t up to writing all of your own content, you can find creative talent to help get your entire content calendar off of the whiteboard and onto the web.
- Milkshake is an email marketing tool that allows creators to communicate directly with their followers, without spamming or boring their audience with low-quality emails.
You’re Instagram and Facebook famous, but how do you convert that to a lucrative online presence?
Posting a sexy or unusual photo on Instagram might generate a ton of followers, but monetizing that following is tricky. If you’re considering diving into the much broader world of content marketing, there are few steps you can take to smooth the transition:
- Create a passion list. Then find a common-thread that you can consistently research, experience and share without losing steam.
- Dive into the world of content management systems (CMS), like WordPress, Joomla, Wix, or Weebly.
- Purchase a domain (and all of the related domains you can afford).
- Overhaul your social media profiles to establish yourself as an expert about the topics you’ll cover on your new website.
- Create a content calendar that outlines the topics you’ll cover and stays true to your overall theme.
- Start writing. Content is king. The better content you develop, the more you’ll be able to leverage your knowledge and experience; attracting new followers.
- Dial-in on the SEO strength of your site. I personally use MOZ to guide my site development.
- Create powerful calls-to-action that encourage your followers to get in touch and establish a personal line of communication with you. This could be a sign-up for an email list, or a raffle that requires their contact information.
Most importantly, have fun. Content marketing requires a massive investment of time. If you don’t enjoy what you’re writing about, you’re going to have a hard time consistently investing the effort necessary for success.
You may be interested
3 Must-Have Email Automation Platforms and How They Stack UpRyan Kh - November 3, 2017
The Internet has made the world a lot smaller than it used to be, which means most businesses enjoy opportunities…
Building a Short-Term eCommerce Site and Selling it For 10x ProfitRyan Kh - October 26, 2017
Running an ecommerce site can be a great way to generate an income online. However, sometimes it takes more maintenance…